After looking at my test paint squad for a couple of weeks, I came to the conclusion I wasn't happy with the fast paint job. The level of detail I had put into them was poor. While painting round 2 I have brought the level of painting up a bit and fix some of the things that annoyed me looking at the test paint squad. The results is I am happy with the 5 new marines I just finished and the project as a whole has slowed down.
So after spending more time cleaning mold lines, painting lenses, cleaning over paint and a whole new method of bases, here is the result:
I am happier with the result, but it will take more like 3-4 hours + drying time per-marine instead of 1-2. For example, the base now requires 3 drying cycles instead of one and they wash is now painted on to where I want it instead of all over, all of this takes time. With painting time being precious as a working Dad, it is going to take a while before I am on to my next project. However, I am much more proud of my army... lesson learned.